By Sam Blanchard For Mailonline. A world-first study has revealed that the vast majority of men's penises grow by less than 4cm when erect. The research, by scientists at the University of California, Irvine, studied men and found that 74 per cent were 'showers' and had penises that grow by 4cm 1. The remaining 26 per cent, called 'growers' by the researchers, enlarged by an average of 5. Growers in the study had an average erection length of Men over 55 are significantly more likely to be showers, the research adds. This may be due to older males having higher levels of inflammation in their bodies that reduces blood flow and tissue elasticity, preventing their penises from growing when they are turned on, according to the researchers. The scientists hope their findings will help men who have prosthetic penises fitted to be more aware of how their members may grow when erect.
What’s the key determiner for which camp you fall into here?
Strangely enough, it was more difficult to find showers. But if for some reason someone sees it soft and we end up hooking up later, they usually seem disappointed. To check the veracity of this classic dichotomy, I reached out to urologist Dr. Shteynshlyuger is among an elite number of fellowship-trained urologists in the United States. Mainly, I wanted to know: Was it true? In other words, some men simply have more stretchable penises than others.
Is it just genetics?
For many men, penis size is important, as it represents their masculinity and virility. Sometimes, the terms grower and shower are used to describe what happens to a penis length as it goes from a flaccid to an erect state. These terms are subjective.
Using penile duplex Doppler ultrasound PDDU , the researchers measured penis length while in the flaccid state. They went on to inject a vasodilation substance into the spongy penis tissues before measuring the length while erect. Researchers found an average change in size from flaccid to erect across all the participants, shower or grower, of about 4 centimeters 1.